Thursday, September 20, 2012

Waiting, waiting, waiting...

This whole pre-labor thing is pretty confusing. It amazes me how different two pregnancies can be.

With Lyla, I really didn't feel any contractions before I went into labor. I started leaking fluid so I was sent to the hospital, hooked up to monitors, and then saw on the screen that I seemed to be having contractions that I couldn't feel. Once they got going, I had "back labor" and then had the epidural. So I really had no experience with the typical, crampy contractions.

Now, here I sit, counting contractions before bed, like I do every day. Generally, it's all "false" labor, although I had very high hopes for tonight, but things are kind of slowing down.

I am now 5 cm dilated, so our doctor said not to wait too long before calling in. Actually, she said call immediately at the first sign of contractions so I make it to the hospital in time. So, we did that, and then we went to the hospital, only to be sent home 2 hrs later. They even had us walk around the unit for 45 minutes to see if that got anything progressing.  Not much to see out in the halls... not even any babies to peek at in the nursery. I ended up just walking in circles in our room while we played Hangman on a whiteboard. Oh fun hospital times.

I can't believe that it's been 5 weeks since we first went into the hospital. We are so lucky to have been able to stop our labor and have so much extra grow time for our baby. We are so ready to meet our little girl!

Even Lyla is getting excited about her little sissy! Grandma and Grandpa got her a book about being a sister, and I think that has helped a lot. We call the big sister in the book "Lyla" and the little sister "______" so instead of just associating the baby with some big thing in my belly, she actually sees a baby to go with the name.

Today, Lyla was sitting in our new double stroller, just because she likes it so much and munching some fruit snacks. She asked where her old stroller was, and I told her that we put it away because she and baby ______ can ride in this new one together. I swear she gave me the death glare for about 1 minute straight. And then she was like, "_____ in the back." So I told her yes, baby would ride in the back in her car seat. I asked her if she wanted to see the car seat, and she said yes. I brought it out and told Lyla that baby would sit by her in the car every day, and that got her really excited. Then I asked her if she wanted to help with the baby's seat belt, and then she was REALLY excited. Lyla LOVES to buckle up! She practiced buckling the car seat forever. And then she got the baby's pacifier and we put it in the car seat to wait for baby. It was really a very proud mommy moment!

Then I ruined it by suggesting we put it on the stroller to see how it looked. This was fine... however, Lyla's favorite cupholder tray on the stroller is actually needed to lock the car seat in place... so I *dun, dun, dun* MOVED the tray. A temper tantrum followed. Oh the toddler years. It's the little things.

Last night, I went and peeked in at Lyla before bed.. and I couldn't help but feel sad that it won't just be the three of us anymore... the two of us during the day. Lyla is growing so fast, and yet she is still such a baby to me. I could just love on her and snuggle her all day long. But soon, I won't have all the time in the world to do things with Lyla. If I feel sad about it, I can only imagine how Lyla will take it. I don't want her to feel stressed or upset :( I know it might be hard at first, but I am still so, so excited to be growing our family and to have our two little girls to love and snuggle! I guess these last few weeks have just been a little bittersweet for us!

Alright I am off. My doctor didn't think we'd make it through the weekend, so we'll see if we have our little on in our arms soon !

No comments:

Post a Comment