Monday, August 13, 2012

Book Reviews



This is currently Lyla's favorite book, as in we read it a minimum of five times a day. Today we've already read it about 6 times, since Lyla is not feeling well and we've been confined to the couch all day! Here is what I think Lyla would say about this book:

"This is the best book ever. I really like the phrases "deep-dark lair," "itty-bitty mouse" and "bear snores on." The picture where the Hare looks like he is winking is SO funny! I didn't know what a mole is, but I really like him in this book. I'm not sure how I feel about the raven yet.  It's also really funny when the Badger is carrying a bag!!! Badgers don't carry bags!! At the end, I was a little worried about badger... he looked sick. But mommy said that he was just sleeping on bear, and I think that's hilarious! And it's really funny at the end because Gopher is getting Bear all messy with crumbs! I could read this book all day!"



I recently read this book per recommendation of my mom, who rarely leads me astray in book world (she's a librarian after all!) But I have to say that I only gave this book 2/5 stars! Rare for me, because I usually like any book. The book had very beautiful descriptions of the circus and all the tents and magical wonders awaiting the people there, and I thought that was nicely done, but almost excessive compared to the character development. I just did not feel connected with the characters. Years would go by between chapters, chapters would go by without a word about an important character. I had a lot of difficulty sympathizing with the main characters at all, and the love story felt kind of flat for me. I will say that I think this book would make a great movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment