Friday, December 14, 2012

Prayers for Sandy Hook

There is no end to the things that I want for my girls. I want them to be happy, I want them to travel, I want them to have friends, to play sports, to find their passions, to find love... I could go on and on.

But when it comes down to it, I just want them to be safe. I just want them to be able to live their lives.

There is nothing, nothing scarier than being a parent. Any time I read the news, I don't think, "What if that were me?" I think, "What if that were my baby?" Every time I have to ask myself that question, I start crying. I don't read the news that much anymore.

The love that we feel for our babies is unparalleled by any other feeling in this world.  I can tell my heart is constantly expanding to make room for more and more love for our beautiful family. I am always telling Erik, "How can anyone ever let their children out of their sight?!" It's so hard to imagine your little babies, always your babies, running off without you, into a world of dangers, known and unknown. How do parents let their babies drive a car with all the drunk drivers on the road? How do parents let their babies travel abroad... alone!? How did my parents do these things?!? I know that eventually I will understand, and that the love that wants to say "no" will be the same love that knows the answer is "yes." But right now, I'm content at the thought of forever living in a bubble with my girls.

I can't imagine the heartbreak, the pain, that would come from losing my babies. In this way, in any way. 

You have to be brave to be a parent, and I am so very heartbroken for these families. A parent's worst nightmare.

My heart and prayers go out to all the families in Connecticut affected by this tragedy, all the parents who lost a baby, whether that baby is 5 or 35. 

No comments:

Post a Comment