Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Kallan 7 Months

A little belated, but here's a 7 month update on our bebé.

Sleep: Kallan gets up once a night, at about 3 a.m. She recently cut her first tooth though, so she was up a lot for a couple of nights. We are happy to be sleeping better again!


Milestones: Kallan can now roll from front to back, so she is rolling all around the living room! Whenever she rolls, Lyla likes to lay down and roll around by her, too. She can sit unassisted now for quite some time but still with cushions and supervision. We can just tell she is growing up by the way she reaches for everything and fusses when a toy gets dropped or nabbed by big sister. She will look all around for a dropped toy!

Feeding: Enjoying some solid foods, some homemade, some not. So far, peas are the favorite. And Kallan finally will take a bottle! Hurray!!!! Personally, I think alone time is good for a mommy's sanity. Now I can leave the house for more than an hour and not have to worry about a hungry baby at home. My in-laws even took the girls for a sleepover, which was amazing, and let Erik and I enjoy some much needed "us" time!


Ups: It's so much fun watching Kallan's little personality shine through. She is quite a happy little girl who can really scream when something's wrong. Her cry is the saddest cry in the world, and giant crocodile tears appear instantly! She is a big mama's girl and a little snuggler. She loves to study new faces. I love seeing her when someone new holds her. She stares at his or her face forever, and then will finally either smile or cry when she's apparently established her opinion about that person. She also loves textures! Whenever we sit in a new chair, she will ditch whatever toy she has to feel and then attempt to eat the chair. Her sister makes her smile SO big! I can really see the sisterly love lately! When I get a chance, I've been enjoying napping with Kallan. We don't bed share, but I can see why people do it. I love sleeping close to her!

Downs: Kallan's bedtime is kind of late. I'm not strict on her schedule, and I kind of let her establish her own general sleep times. But she has been going to bed around 10pm. This isn't a huge deal, except that by then I'm exhausted and go straight to bed when she is down. Hence, no cleaning is getting done, no web is being surfed, no books are being read. Just pure tiredness. I keep reminding myself that this is just a phase of life, and someday I'll be able to do all these things as much as I want, and I'll wish my babies were still babies snuggling me half the night! Another down is the glasses!! We can't keep the darn things on her face! I spend half my days picking them up and putting them on and trying to distract Kallan enough to leave them on. We exchanged them for more goggle-esque ones. They aren't here yet, but maybe it will help somewhat.


Likes: Red square, biting, being surprised, being tickled (she's SUPER ticklish, just like Mommy!), sleeping with Mommy in the big bed, kicking, things that aren't toys (phones, remotes, paper), rolling around, playing in the high chair and smacking her hands on the tray, talking and "singing", Gregory Alan Isakov (works like a charm to calm her down in the car! It's magic! I must have listened to him a lot when she was in my belly), pulling off and eating her glasses, looking out the window in the car.

Also.... white noise!! My sister-in-law lent me a little stuffed giraffe that plays white noise. I've only had it a couple of days, but already it seems to have helped our no-nap situation. We've been calling Kallan "The Sleepless Wonder."

Dislikes: When we go out of her sight and she thinks she's alone, when her sister smacks her in the head with a toy (understandable), too much floor time, the bouncy chair, when people sneeze or laugh really loud and suddenly.


On another note, we are really enjoying this beautiful weather... finally! I wish I could know what Kallan was thinking a lot of the time... like what does she think about playing outside for the first time? What does she think of the grass? I wonder what having glasses is like for her.. maybe she doesn't even like the new clarity of her world. Babies' minds... such a mystery!


No comments:

Post a Comment