Sunday, March 24, 2013

Kallan: 6 Months

A half year has gone by already! Time really flies the first time around.. but it is going insanely fast the second time. It's a bit scary.


Sleep: Unfortunately, Kallan just doesn't seem to like sleeping that much. Naps are a struggle and she is waking usually twice a night for some milkies/snuggles. 

Milestones: Kallan can sort of sit in a tripod position and will sometimes sit up unassisted for a few seconds. She loves to reach for toys and bring them closer to her. She will fuss if she drops a toy. She will occasionally look for a toy under a towel, but mostly she just ends up eating the towel. If she has a choice, she'll choose a cloth over a toy for some good munching. If you say her name, she will smile and look at you. She isn't quite ready to crawl yet, but she does turn herself around while she's on her tummy. She wants to move!


Feeding: We've occasionally started giving her some food recently. She seems to like it and wants to grab the spoon and feed herself. This usually results in a big mess, but I appreciate her enthusiasm. So far barley cereal is the least favorite. Everything else is kind of 'meh'. 

Ups: I've really enjoyed watching Kallan's little personality come out. She is a very loving and snuggly little girl. She laughs all the time and is super ticklish. I love watching her study new faces and places. It must be overwhelming to be a baby.. everything is new! The best is when she is on her tummy and laughing.. her whole body jiggles up and down, it's the cutest thing ever! Sometimes she will just be looking at me and then will put her hand on my face. I wish I could capture the feeling it gives me in words or pictures. So much love.

Downs: Not getting a full night sleep again. :( Oh well, it's not forever! Hopefully.. also she seems to be having a bit of a fussy period. A friend recently told me about the "Wonder Weeks." Someone has created a general schedule of fussy periods for babies, and one commonly occurs at about 26 weeks, which is where we're at now. This might be contributing to the night waking and nap resistance.


Likes: Her big sister, eating all the time, helping turn the pages of books, being carried in the wrap, eating books, eating cloth, eating her toes, studying hands and fingers, her red square, rolling onto her tummy, grabbing hair, crinkle toys, her exersaucer, talking, looking out the car window, snuggling, being loved on all the time

Dislikes: Loud noises, sometimes new faces, bottles, when we leave the room, cold weather... I'm pretty sure of this one, at least :), being around new people for too long

Sister Update: Lately, Lyla has been going up to Kallan and saying, "Hi Kallan, hi sweetie." "Aw Kallan, look at your little feet. You're so cute." And on her way home from a play day at Grandma and Grandpa's, Lyla said, "I really want my Kallan." Kallan is always flashing smiles at Lyla, and Lyla loves to say, "She smiled at me!!!" The sisterly love is mutual, and Lyla seems to notice that Kallan is getting more and more interactive. Lyla loves to try to make Kallan laugh, and if Kallan is crying she will run over and find her a toy or play her a song on the piano. "It's okay, Kallan, it's okay!" she'll say. Or, "It's okay, Kallan, Lyla's here."

I'm really looking forward to the next 6 months and seeing Kall

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I haven't checked your blog in forever but I love this post!!!!!!! I'm excited because I deactivated my facebook account--(i needed a break! It was consuming way to much of my life) and now I can still see beautiful pictures of your girls!!!!! But how about I see them in person!!!!!!! Feel like getting together soon? I can head over your way! Let me know what you think!!!!! Cutie Kallan---she is so stinkin adorable--and growing so fast!!!!!! AHHH!!!!!!! WHY DO BABIES DO THAT?!?!!? please keep making babies--they are so beautiful! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog! Your girls are so cute-- and such personality!

    Evie also is waking up several times a night for the last 3 weeks!!! AHH. Like 3, 4 and even 5 times for a quick "snack." Im exhausted. All the time. I also read the wonder weeks and it looks like where she's at (20 weeks) its not uncommon for this sort of wakeful period through the night. Hope it passes for us both soon. We can always sleep later in life, right?! Any luck with the bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kaitlyn! Minimal success with the bottle, how about you guys??

    I feel you on the exhaustion. Kallan was sick last week and was up 5 times a night! Ughh.

    Do you guys know when you'll be in Bethany this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will take a Dr. Brown, but she's very tense doing it and then usually want to nurse after anyway. Ha...so yea, not really. I wish so badly that she would take a pacifier though- no luck there either. I think Ryan and I have got a very sensitive baby on our hands.

    Thinking we will be there Memorial Day and the 4th. Hopefully see you guys then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Kallan just started taking her paci.. so don't give up :)! She only likes the wider Nuk pacifiers.. picky, picky!

      We should be there, we can have an all night nursing party while everyone else has a bonfire.

      Delete