Monday, January 21, 2013

Kallan: 4 Months

This happy girl is 4 months old today!! Happy 4 months Kallan!!!!!! 


Sleep: Kallan is sleeping 10-11 hours straight at night! Woo hoo! Of course, last night she was up a lot, but hopefully that is an isolated incident. She's a little night owl, and I'm lucky if I get her to bed before midnight. I don't mind it too much because we get some one-on-one time, and then I get to hang out with just the big girl in the morning.


Milestones: Kallan has started grabbing at things, and really enjoys watching her hands clasp an object. She loves to hold her hands in front of face and bring them together and take them apart.. over and over. Most of the time she just whacks toys, but she will occasionally hang onto something and bring it to her mouth. She loves to blow bubbles and make 'razz' type sounds. When she's on her tummy, she is starting to be able to push up a lot more, and today she even pulled her legs in so her butt was in the air. I think we've got a little mover on our hands! She continues to talk, talk, talk and now she has added a bit of yelling to her repertoire of sounds. 


Ups: It's so fun watching Kallan explore and study the world around her, more and more each day. I love interacting with her. She is such a happy girl, and it's so easy to make her smile and laugh. She loves to talk, and I love all our little conversations throughout the day. She has been napping in my wrap a lot, and when she wakes up, she will just stare at me and smile.  I can tell she really knows and loves me, and she is just happy to be with me. It's a great feeling, and I love the closeness I get from 'wearing' her. When she wakes up in the morning, she really doesn't make any noise, so I check on her quite a bit to see if she's awake. She is usually just in there kicking her legs and eating her hands... when she sees me, she gives me her biggest smile! I can't imagine a more perfect start to the day. 

Downs: This month we had a hard time getting Kallan to take a pacifier. I felt like all I was doing was nursing her, but it was the only thing that would soothe her. We switched back to Nuk, and now with just the right amount of bouncing, she will take a pacifier. She still won't take a bottle, although we continue to try one each day. It's mom or nothing, and it makes feel a bit trapped at home. The most I can be out of the house on my own is an hour before I get a call from home with a screaming baby in the background.  It's frustrating for me, and for Erik and anyone else who might be watching her. They can't do anything for her. When she wants Mommy, she wants Mommy! I just ordered a Nuk bottle. She likes the Nuk pacifiers, surely she'll take a Nuk bottle... right?!


Likes: Daddy.. he's the funniest. He can make her laugh easier than anyone. Lyla was the same way! 
Her crinkly dolly, getting dressed/undressed, napping in the wrap, bath, her playmat, tummy time (finally!), watching and listening to Lyla, being kissed and tickled on the cheeks, especially by Daddy, trying to eat anything that comes near her face, blowing bubbles, talking, yelling, Mommy and eating (the last two go hand in hand)

Dislikes: Being woken up abruptly by loud noises (usually coming from a certain older sister), being in the wrap while awake unless facing out, bottles of any kind (so far), being cradled like a baby (this makes me so sad!!), when Mommy and Daddy go anywhere without her

 I love this age where babies are just leaving their newborn-ness behind and becoming the little explorers they were meant to be. I can't wait to see her grow and see more of that little personality come through.

She and Lyla are starting to interact more and more, and I love how Lyla tries to include her. She is always saying, "Kallan, look what Lyla is doing!" "Kallan, Lyla is stacking the movies!" "Look what your sister is doing!" If you ask Lyla if she loves her sister, she might say no. But I know that she really does. Lyla always makes sure that Kallan gets a turn to pick a song in the car. When we pretend to put on our pirate costumes (Dora inspired), Lyla always pretends to put a hat, shirt and boots on Kallan, too.  Sometimes one of us will take Lyla out on errands, and Kallan stays home with me or Daddy, and the first thing Lyla says when she gets home is, "Where's Kallan, Mommy??" I can't wait to see their relationship evolve over the years. We are so very blessed to have these girls in our lives.


I'll try to update on Miss Lyla soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment